My Views & Interesting News: Belan Brigade fights for change

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Belan Brigade fights for change

Subscribe to My Viuz Subscribe to My Viuz in MY YAHOO! Subscribe to My Viuz in MY GOOGLE! Subscribe to My Viuz in MY MSN! Subscribe to My Viuz in MY AOL! Subscribe to My Viuz in Rojo!
As per a report:

In Ludhiana city in Punjab a group of women, campaigns in election season with their rolling pins (Belans). They call themselves the 'Belan Brigade', using the humble rolling pin as their mascot to convince people to stay away from the lure of drugs and money in exchange for their votes. 

Anita Sharma, who leads the campaign, explains the idea behind the 'Belan Brigade' as she goes door to door, handing out pamphlets. "We have got a good response to the campaign with women wanting to join in. Today we are in a situation where 72 per cent of our population is hooked to some sort of drug abuse," she says. 

Savita Kalra, another member adds, "If you go from village to village you can see how badly it has impacted people's lives. Whether it's the son or husband who is an addict, it is the woman who pays for it. It is so rampant that in some cases the mother herself gets the injections since she can't see her child suffer. "

Labels: , , , ,

Get My Viuz Updates by e-mail

Bookmark/Add My Viuz to Favorites 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

© MyViuz.blogspot.com All articles in this Blog are subject to Copyright. Copying / Reproduction of these in any form is Strictly Prohibited.

   addtomyyahoo   Subscribe in Rojo   Subscribe with Bloglines   Add to Google

Click on your Country Flag to Read in Your Own Language