My Views & Interesting News: Camel Beauty Contest In United Arab Emirates

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Camel Beauty Contest In United Arab Emirates

Subscribe to My Viuz Subscribe to My Viuz in MY YAHOO! Subscribe to My Viuz in MY GOOGLE! Subscribe to My Viuz in MY MSN! Subscribe to My Viuz in MY AOL! Subscribe to My Viuz in Rojo!
As per a report:

Every year people travel thousands of miles, from across the Gulf, to the Western Region of the United Arab Emirates to attend the prestigious event. But you won't find any designer dresses, tiaras or make-up artists here because they've come to seek out the region's next top camel.

The Al Dhafra festival is in its seventh year and seeks to celebrate and promote Bedouin culture. The highlight is the camel beauty pageant which sees thousands of contestants strut their stuff in two competitions: one for the light-coloured Asayel breed and another for the dark-skinned Majahim. These "desert ships", as some refer to them, historically provided Bedouins with a source of milk and transportation.

They're also seen, more recently, as a potentially profitable business investment. And it's not just millions of pounds worth of cash prizes and cars that entice people to come. It's a matter of national pride with camel-owning families from the UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Oman and other Gulf states all competing.

Labels: , , ,

Get My Viuz Updates by e-mail

Bookmark/Add My Viuz to Favorites 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

© MyViuz.blogspot.com All articles in this Blog are subject to Copyright. Copying / Reproduction of these in any form is Strictly Prohibited.

   addtomyyahoo   Subscribe in Rojo   Subscribe with Bloglines   Add to Google

Click on your Country Flag to Read in Your Own Language