My Views & Interesting News: Sinkhole Swallows Family Car in England

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sinkhole Swallows Family Car in England

Subscribe to My Viuz Subscribe to My Viuz in MY YAHOO! Subscribe to My Viuz in MY GOOGLE! Subscribe to My Viuz in MY MSN! Subscribe to My Viuz in MY AOL! Subscribe to My Viuz in Rojo!
As per a report:

A 30ft deep sinkhole has opened up in the driveway of a house, swallowing up a car. Firefighters were called to the property in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, on Sunday morning where they spent an hour cordoning off the area and giving safety advice. No-one was inside the parked Volkswagen Lupo when the 15ft wide crater formed, but there are concerns regarding the stability of the house, which is only a foot away. 

 A Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said the incident had been handed over to building control at Wycombe District Council. High Wycombe is built on chalk, which Paul Beetham, a lecturer in civil engineering at Nottingham Trent University, says may explain why the phenomenon occurred in the area. "Areas underlain by chalk may contain natural voids or caves, which formed over many thousands of years as groundwater passed through and dissolved the chalk," Mr Beetham said.

Labels: , , , ,

Get My Viuz Updates by e-mail

Bookmark/Add My Viuz to Favorites 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

© MyViuz.blogspot.com All articles in this Blog are subject to Copyright. Copying / Reproduction of these in any form is Strictly Prohibited.

   addtomyyahoo   Subscribe in Rojo   Subscribe with Bloglines   Add to Google

Click on your Country Flag to Read in Your Own Language